Join | Home | Print Page | Contact Us | Sign In
News & Press: News

Experts advise avoiding warm ponds, lakes with dogs

Wednesday, August 14, 2019  
Share |
Three dogs in North Carolina and one in Georgia died last week after playing in still water that probably harbored cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae. The bacteria can proliferate in still or slow-moving warm water, says microbiologist Steven Wilhelm, and toxicologist Julie Schildt says dogs shouldn't be allowed to swim in or drink water that has algae on it and should be hosed off promptly and monitored for symptoms if they do.
Knoxville News Sentinel (Tenn.) (8/13),  WJZ-TV (Baltimore) (8/13)